NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME after upgrade to 3.0.23c

Patrick Heyman taffer at patheyman.com
Thu Oct 5 15:32:30 GMT 2006

I keep getting the following error after upgrading Samba to 3.0.23 using
slackpkg in -current:
"tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

smbclient -L hostname               :gave the error
smbclient //hostname/username :connected (home directory)
smbclient //share/music              :gave the error
smbclient //share/movies            :gave the error
smbclient //share/pub                 :gave the error

After doing some research, the only thing I came up with was checking
the directory permssions:
drwxr-xr-x 14 username users 4096 2006-06-18 21:01 movies
drwxr-xr-x 43 username users 4096 2006-06-21 01:37 music

Interestingly, if I create symlinks to the shares inside the user
directories, I can access the shares indirectly, but that's hardly an
elegant option.  There seems to be absolutely no documentation regarding
this error code anywhere, and the e-mail archives have plenty of
instances of this error, but never a solution that works for me.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Heyman

smb.conf
[global]