ldb for 3.0.24?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Nov 29 20:27:46 GMT 2006

Jerry,

 > gahhh!!!  I'm know I'm going to get flamed for this but *this*
 > kind of issue was exactly stability I voiced concerned over.

Looks like I've been bitten by timezones again - the whole discussion
has come and gone and I'm only just reading it :-)

This is really a very minor issue. You could quite happily use the ldb
code currently in Samba3 and not have a panic situation on your hands.

The indexing fields in ldb are not the users data. The user data
format has not changed. The indexing fields get completely regenerated
on any attribute change to the database, and on any indexing
change. They are like a cache inside the database and can be deleted
and regenerated at any time.

The obvious thing to do is add another index regeneration trigger (on
top of the ones we have already) that triggers on application version
string. That would make ldb auto-regenerate its indexes when anyone
upgrades (or downgrades). We haven't had to do anything like that
before as it hasn't been needed, but its a simple change to make. It's
also not needed for the initial Samba3 release - and it doesn't matter
if you release with the current ldb code in Samba3 or the code Simo
will be working on - we won't be in trouble in either case.

If you don't want to use ldb for 3.0.24 then that's fine, but this
indexing problem is not reason enough to exclude it.

Cheers, Tridge