Windows/NFSv4 ACL interoperability

Christoph Klein christophk at cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 14 10:45:42 GMT 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 05:40:35PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> So I've started gathering what I know here; corrections welcomed:
>
> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/index.php/ACLs#The_ACL_Interoperability_Problem

Perhaps you can add a link to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngacl on
your page, as a first try to address these issues on linux.

I think you are missing one distinctive difference in the semantics of
nfsv4 and windows acl: inheritance! afaik nfsv4 uses static inheritance
(acls are inherited only at file creationt time) and windows uses a
semi-dynamic model (acls are inherited at the time they are set).
Applications that rely on one behaviour may do strange things!

christoph