Can I use samba to statically link with my embedded application?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 28 18:33:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:25:35PM +0530, Vishnubhatla, Vijaya Bhaskar wrote:
> Hi,
> Can I use samba to link statically with my code base? I want to use it
> for my embedded applications. My requirement is to modify the samba code
> such that it has to link with my current embedded application. I need
> smbd and nmbd daemons for this purpose.

You can only do this if you're willing to GPL all code that
statically links with Samba. There are no exceptions.

> If not possible kindly suggest me
> the other open source CIFS implementations which I can use for sattic
> linking.

If you're not willing to GPL your code then you have no other
Open Source options, Samba is the only Open Source CIFS server
available. You'll have to pay to license a proprietary codebase.

Jeremy.