Can I use samba to statically link with my embedded application?

Wed Jun 28 08:25:02 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:25:35PM +0530, Vishnubhatla, Vijaya Bhaskar wrote:
> Can I use samba to link statically with my code base? I want to use it
> for my embedded applications. My requirement is to modify the samba code
> such that it has to link with my current embedded application. I need
> smbd and nmbd daemons for this purpose.If not possible kindly suggest me
> the other open source CIFS implementations which I can use for sattic
> linking.

Sure it is in theory possible to link Samba statically.

But you must certainly be aware that Samba is licensed under
the GPL which requires that your embedded application then
is also published under the GPL, meaning that you have to
publish the sources and give your customers all rights that
you were granted by the Samba copyright holders.

If you do not want to publish your code under GPL, Samba is
not an option for you.

Do you want to publish your code under GPL?

Best regards,

Volker Lendecke
Samba Team