Samba management

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 21 17:01:45 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:23:51AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> *No* sysadmin knows javascript.  And ejs is not really java
> script anyways based on my understanding.  It's an interesting
> scripting language for developers but it is another scripting
> language to learn.
>
> > interfaces and ejs bindings will come out of others (me, for example).
> > Currently SWAT is samba3 is not maintained by anyone, merging it for
> > most of functionality with upcoming Samba4 SWAT work is a way to get it
> > maintainable and up to date.
>
> I think this is using a elephant gun to shoot a fly.

Adding ejs to Samba3 is pointless (IMHO). We need good
management interfaces with scripting language bindings.

Once we have these then people can add different front
end implementations to manage many different kinds of
servers, not just Samba (SCRAP anyone.... ?:-).

The ejs code is a large lump of not-well-maintained
code as far as I can see, and we already have enough
of that in Samba3 :-) :-).

Jeremy.