Timeline Was: Re: Admin logging SoC project requirements

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Jun 6 16:41:49 GMT 2006

Michael,

> Administrative logging support
>
> * Provide an admin log function call which writes
>   information to a configurable target (till
>   June 26).
>
> * Parse configuration options and adjust logging
>   to config (till June 26).
>
> * Provide a list of ADMIN_LOG_EVENT_TYPEs (till
>   June 26).
>
> * Implement some calls to admin_log (till June 26).
>   - User add
>   - Configuration changes
>   - Wrong password to DC
>   - Some printer changes (adding a printer etc.)

OK.  This looks fine.  The milestone will be June
28 (which still gives me 24 hours to make my report
to Google).

> * After midterm evaluation (June 26):
>   - Implement format string support
>   - Provide some more calls to admin_log (selection
>     depending on developer feedback)
>   - Documentation
>   - Automated testing (does this make any sense?)

These should be considered requirements.

>   - Auditing (if there is time)
>   - Support for external database with advanced help (?)

These two are optional.

> An admin log entry should provide the following information:
>
> - User
> - Machine
> - Log Level ...
> - Event Type ...
> - Description
>
> (the following two are set by admin_log/syslog:)
> - Timestamp
> - OS and version (bitmasked)?

Do you mean the client OS ?

> and additionally, perhaps:
> - Category (could help to filter entries, but I cannot see a useful
>   category)
> - NTSTATUS code returned (could be included in description)

As long as the NTSTATUS code is is converted to a string
format whenever possible and not raw hex, I agree.

> Configuration options:
>
> * admin log = on / off (or destination: syslog)
>
> * admin log event types = all -or- auth printing passdb etc.
>
> * admin log level = info warn error (+ audit_failure audit_success)
>   The last two values correspond to the EventLog documentation.
>
> * admin log format = some printf formatted format string
>   (after midterm evaluation)

Looks good.  Thanks.

cheers, jerry