Parent daemons don't kill children when terminated?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Tue Jul 11 16:33:05 GMT 2006

   I remember a discussion of this, which I'd characterize as
a resiliency change.

   If the parent smbd is killed or dis
unintentionally, the child smbds continue to provide service
to their users.
   A new parent smbd can be launched, and will pick up all
new requests for connections.

   From the Solaris point of view, the service and fault managers
need to keep an nmbd and a parent smbd running, so that if
a child smbd dies, the client can reconnect.
   If the entire machine, domain or zone dies, then an external
mechanism needs to start a new one, possibly on new hardware
because the old one has caught fire (;-))

   Active-active and high-performance clusters will probably
need some kind of close relationship with Samba, which is
quite a different subject, mostly having to do with tdb
locking-performance discussions on the list.

--dave

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

(416) 223-5943