[Proposal] Samba 3.2.0 to replace 3.0.22

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jan 9 15:45:19 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 09:28 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:20:29AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >
> >>* jerry opens the floor for discussion
> >

> > 3.2 would also be a good point to remove a number of
> > compatibility parameters. The 'passdb expand explicit' comes
> > to mind, as well as enable privileges, nested groups etc. If
> > we don't remove them, we could at least have a point to
> > change defaults.
>
> Playing devil's advocate, this alone would not be reason for 3.2.
> I would be willing to make these changes in the 3.0.x release
> series.  Of course, 3.2 is a good break point to do this
> kind of thing, but changing default behavior is not enough of
> a reason for the headaches of a 3.2 release on its own.
>
> And I know it sounds like I'm back peddling some.  Really I'm
> not.  I'm just thinking out loud and looking for the best
> solution.

Jerry,
I share your concerns. I think the real problem is not about deciding if
a 3.2.x is necessary but if we can manage to keep both 3.0.x and 3.2.x
in good shape after the split. I think such changes cannot be done in
3.0.x we really need to bump up the minor.

I'm sure that you, as a release manager, would be really pressured into
trying to maintaining 2 releases, that's too much to keep sanity in the
long term imho, so we may have the option of appointing someone else for
maintaining 3.0.x with the minimum amount of fixes that can be
backported from 3.2.x and security fixes and let 3.0.x have a slow fade
out.

If we have a clear upgrade path I think people will switch to 3.2.x in a
not so long time, and we can fix an end of team support for the 3.0.x
series as we did for 2.2.x series.

Sure for some time we will have some more work on our shoulders, are we
able to absorb it, are we able to find a maintainer for 3.0.x when you
move to 3.2.x ? Dunno, we need to think about that and put on the plate
all the problems that arises from such move and benefits and see what
can work best.

Simo.