FHS defaults for samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 6 07:03:04 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:48 +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Friday 06 January 2006 06:05 am, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > One of these is FHS.  The use of lib for the smb.conf file in the
> > default prefix and the like has been with us for many long years, and we
> > need to fix that up.  In Samba3, debian and the like have patches that
> > change Samba's core to fix this up (even in addition to the --with-fhs
> > configure option), but we should avoid having to do that.
> Can I suggest that you might want to put a "4" suffix in applicable places to
> allow parallel installations (probably not critical for cache directories,
> since you presumably won't be running both, but maybe nice for consistency
> anyway).

The idea is attractive at first, but gets very messy very quickly, if
you want to achieve anything more than what we get with --prefix
already.

For it to work with parallel installations of RPMs, we would have to
suffix every binary.  Then we should also update the manpage
names/contents, init scripts and some of the scripts which invoke
smbscript.

In any case I'll certainly try and allow such things in the future, but
I won't aim for it as an initial step.  Autoconf has some idea of
execuatable suffix which will help in some places.  The other thing
might be the 'alternatives' system.