FHS defaults for samba4

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jan 5 20:26:59 GMT 2006

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:24 -0500, simo wrote:
>> On ven, 2006-01-06 at 06:05 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> As we move towards the tech preview, I have been thinking about old
>>> Samba habits that should not die hard.
>
>>>  - sam.ldb
>>>    secrets.ldb
>>>    secrets.keytab
>>>    <other private files>
>>>                /var/lib/samba/private PREFIX/var/lib/private
>> Debian puts these in /var/lib/samba but we should carefully consider if
>> these are better suited to stay in /etc/samba, after all passwd and
>> group files stay in /etc and so do many password containing files,
>> certificates, etc...
>>
>> I'm slightly in favor of /etc/samba
>
> Quoting the FHS:
>> The /etc hierarchy contains configuration files. A "configuration file"
>> is a local file used to control the operation of a program;
>> it must be static and cannot be an executable binary. [4]
>
> These are not static, and are binary (if not executable), so I think we
> are locked out of /etc (read-only root considerations).

/etc can't be read-only, as a LOT of stuff writes persistent config
data there (think passwd, shadow, group, etc.)  The embedded Linux
devices I've worked with put /etc in flash...

Anyways, those files are not human-readable/editable, so by FHS
convention they are deemed to be persistent state data (goes in
/var/lib) and not configuration data (goes in /etc)...