svn commit: samba r13668 - in trunk/source/libsmb: .

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Feb 24 20:42:37 GMT 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:00:57AM -0500, derrell at samba.org wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Although I agree that the errno mapping table was poor, that scheme has been
> used traditionally for mapping the errno values provided to libsmbclient
> users.  Applications depend on the errno values to determine what went wrong
> (and some differ slightly from what would be returned by Linux/Unix).  I
> suggest that instead of removing this mapping table, we either add a global
> variable (yuck!) that can determine whether to use the traditional method or
> the new method, or find some other method of allowing the traditional method
> to be selected by an application.  We need to retain the ability to return the
> existing errno mappings.

Hmmmmm. Are you sure ? The scheme I changed it to will be more uniform,
in that it will bounce through an NTSTATUS mapping and then to an errno
number. If I can make sure that the mapping from DOSERR -> NTSTATUS -> errno
returns the same ultimate errno value for 3.0.22 would that be sufficient ?

I don't think there are any clients currently depending on the exact mappings
we have from NTSTATUS -> errno, so I can always change the NSTATUS -> errno
mapping to ensure the 2 stage translation comes out the same.

I *really* want to move away from having DOSERR tables in the code if we
can.

Jeremy.