How can I get involved with Samba 4 development?

Hiro Yoshioka hyoshiok at miraclelinux.com
Thu Feb 23 00:13:27 GMT 2006

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:33 +0900, Hiro Yoshioka wrote:
> > Hi Samba Team,
> >
> > It may be a little bit starange question. If it is not good place to
> > ask this kind of question, please let me know appropriate place.
> >
> > How can I get involved with Samba 4 development?
>
> Samba4 development occurs here and on #samba-technical on
> irc.freenode.net.
>
> As you are no doubt aware, we have released a Technology Preview (TP),
> and are working towards the eventual goal of a 4.0 release.  We do need
> a lot of help to get there.
>
> Where to start working very much depends on the skills of the developers
> involved, and what resources they have access to.  There is work on
> protocols as diverse as LDAP, Kerberos, DCE/RPC and CIFS.
>
> One interesting area to work is making us pass more tests.  Either by
> writing more tests, finding parts of existing tests we pass, and
> separating these, and/or fixing the server code.
>
> Likewise, there are plenty of Samba3 smb.conf options we need to look
> at, and determine how we should support.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

There are a lot of room where we can contribute.
Samba 4 TP is the starting point.

My idea is the following
  1) making regression tests of Samba 3 smb.conf
     making a compatibility list between Samba 3 and Samba 4
  2) finding bugs, reporting them, and fixing them
  3) coding some functions

What do you think?

Any way, we will make a plan how/where we'd contribute.

Regards,
  Hiro