How can I get involved with Samba 4 development?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 22 21:08:11 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:33 +0900, Hiro Yoshioka wrote:
> Hi Samba Team,
>
> It may be a little bit starange question. If it is not good place to
> ask this kind of question, please let me know appropriate place.
>
> How can I get involved with Samba 4 development?

Samba4 development occurs here and on #samba-technical on
irc.freenode.net.

As you are no doubt aware, we have released a Technology Preview (TP),
and are working towards the eventual goal of a 4.0 release.  We do need
a lot of help to get there.

Where to start working very much depends on the skills of the developers
involved, and what resources they have access to.  There is work on
protocols as diverse as LDAP, Kerberos, DCE/RPC and CIFS.

One interesting area to work is making us pass more tests.  Either by
writing more tests, finding parts of existing tests we pass, and
separating these, and/or fixing the server code.

Likewise, there are plenty of Samba3 smb.conf options we need to look
at, and determine how we should support.