Support for FreeBSD extended attributes

Geoffrey Giesemann geoffwa at idkfa.ath.cx
Tue Feb 21 04:44:30 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:58:34PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:20 +1100, Geoffrey Giesemann wrote:
> > FreeBSD uses a different (but similar) set of calls for maniupulating
> > extended attributes:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=extattr&format=html
> >
> > Is anyone working on support for this, or should I submit a patch?
>
> A patch from Apple went to this list a little while back.  It didn't get
> in, but if you can find and revive it, it might get a more positive
> reception labelled 'FreeBSD' :-)
>
> (Actually, the main issue is ensuring it doesn't break any other
> platforms, and that the tests are correct for all versions of *BSD *and*
> the other platforms).

OSX appears to copy Linux's calls for extended attributes:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/listxattr.2.html

I don't have an OSX box to test Samba on, but I'd assume extended
attributes should work on OSX with no further patching.

(And I'm actually referring to Samba 4, although I failed to mention
that at all)