Building an embedded Samba4

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Feb 2 19:50:50 GMT 2006

Steve Kennedy schrieb:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:14:06PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:03:06AM +0000, Steve Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>>Linksys have a product - their EFG250 which is a NAS product supporting
>>>two internal disks and GigE.
>>>Using smbclient: -
>>>Domain=[GBNET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7b-ja-1.0]
>>>It's an embedded Linux and obviously Samba.
>>>Code is available from the Linksys support section (GPL)
>>
>>It's rather and old version though... This is a 3.0
>>build.
>

> Yup, but they may have done some of the work

Perhaps, but I doubt it could be that helpful.
2.2.7 and 3.0.21b (4 soon?) is a big difference.

Even for OpenWRT (this tiny distro for routers) you can find Samba
3.0.10 packages, so why am I asking all these questions here?

It's because Samba is not a main interest for OpenWRT, it won't even fit
on many routers running this distro.

Second, these Samba 3.0.10 packages already available for OpenWRT is not
what we are really used to: no LDAP support, to ACLs, so perhaps it
could work just fine for simple file sharing, but for something bigger,
like a distributed domain - no way.

So, if I start a project on sourceforge.net (samba-embedded?), I would
like to include not only binaries for exotic platforms like mipsel or
ARM, but also all possible know-how:

- how to build it yourself - Samba doesn't cross-compile very well, in
fact, its ./configure script refuses to run at some point when it
detects we're gonna cross-compile

- what include, what not to include (i.e., one might want LDAP + ACLs,
but someone else might just want to have it all smaller, because he
doesn't use it)

- how to cross-compile 3rd party tools (OpenLDAP, libiconv, gnutls etc.,
when needed)

- include some other tools (the NSS problem - Samba needs it,
workarounds if we want to use LDAP on a system that doesn't support NSS)

- other info I forgot about

Anyway, I'll set up a new sourceforge.net project, if someone will be
interested in it, good, if not - at least it will be all documented and
I'll have all instructions handy someone wipes them out from my ~ dir :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org