Samba 4 SWAT Subprojects?

Brad Henry j0j0 at riod.ca
Tue Dec 5 01:59:10 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I've been asked to teach an undergraduate course in January on open
source software development at the University of Regina. There seems to
be interest from computer science students as well as developers in the
field.

I was thinking that I would focus the group projects on Samba 4 SWAT.
Working on an established project like Samba seems to draw the students'
interest, and AJAX-style development is something that I think a lot of
people would like exposure to. Also, I expect that it's an area of Samba
   that the average student could contribute to without too much of a
learning curve.

After tearing apart Derrell's ldbbrowser, I put together a basic
mmc-like framework for plug-in applications. I also wrote two simple
JSON-RPC applications to plug into that framework, an echo plug-in and
another to report nbt server packet stats. It's very rough, but I think
a group of students could do something better. :)

Given all that, can anyone think of SWAT subprojects or smaller
applications that they would like to see worked on?

Here are a couple that came to mind for me:
* extending the registry editor
* basic ldb editor
* services manager

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad