svn commit: samba r17738 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb: . ldb_tdb

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Thu Aug 24 09:23:55 GMT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:26:53AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Simo,
>
>  > Tridge, wouldn't it make sense to create a libreplace, and make tdb,
>  > talloc, ldb and samba4 to depend on it?
>  > We may even backport and share it with samba3 so that we ahve a common
>  > set or replacement functions.
>
> possibly ... it does have some disadvantages tho.
>
> Say we made a libreplace, and put all the lib/replace/ stuff from
 :
> While our replacements work well for us, I'm not so confident of them
> that I would want to force them on everyone who might want to use
> talloc or tdb.

A Samba libreplace would then join libroken (used by Heimdahl and
others) and the Apache Portable Runtime (http://apr.apache.org/ ) and
several more with similar goals. All with the drawbacks Tridge mentions
for anyone considering using them.

I don't recall seeing an investigation somewhere of each of these
libraries and what they try to address, and licensing issues?

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org