svn commit: samba r17738 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb: . ldb_tdb

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Aug 24 13:58:36 GMT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 06:53:55PM +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:26:53AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> >  > Tridge, wouldn't it make sense to create a libreplace, and make tdb,
> >  > talloc, ldb and samba4 to depend on it?
> >  > We may even backport and share it with samba3 so that we ahve a common
> >  > set or replacement functions.
> > possibly ... it does have some disadvantages tho.

> > Say we made a libreplace, and put all the lib/replace/ stuff from
>  :
> > While our replacements work well for us, I'm not so confident of them
> > that I would want to force them on everyone who might want to use
> > talloc or tdb.
> A Samba libreplace would then join libroken (used by Heimdahl and
> others) and the Apache Portable Runtime (http://apr.apache.org/ ) and
> several more with similar goals. All with the drawbacks Tridge mentions
> for anyone considering using them.
There already is a Samba libreplace. The discussion here is merely
about whether it's contents should be spread out over various subsystems in
Samba. APR is significantly different from roken and replace.
roken and replace merely provide replacements for functions that
certain OS'es lack.

APR (or GLib) is a set of utility functions that is portable.

> I don't recall seeing an investigation somewhere of each of these
> libraries and what they try to address, and licensing issues?
GNUlib is a pretty decent one. roken is not really an option, unless
we would import it into the source tree.

Cheers,

Jelmer