looking for more project ideas

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 28 21:44:50 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 23:16 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We have a list of project ideas for Summer of Code up
> at http://www.samba.org/samba/projects/summercode06.html
>
> Please send me any additional ideas that you have in a
> a one paragraph summary.  Projects should have a defined
> beginning and termination so that we can measure a students
> progress and success.
>
> The student application process starts on Monday.

Clearly I need to expand on these, but I wanted to put some dot-points I
came up with out there for possible ideas.  More detail in the
morning...

Samba4:

User Manager for SWAT
 - Port an existing Samba3 Web-based user manager to Samba4's schema
  - Possibly univentions's python interface?
 - Build a user manager in SWAT (maybe AJAX interactive)

Better GQ
 - Build a GQ replacement in SWAT (needs to be AJAX, for interactivity)
 - Build a GQ replacement against Samba4/GTK
  - Needs to be schema aware

Samba4 with an LDAP backend
 - I've talked with one student about ideas in this area already.