Non-UNIX permission models (resent)

Andreas Gruenbacher agruen at suse.de
Thu Sep 29 14:25:47 GMT 2005

Hello,

[resent -- the previous message probably was dropped by a list admin.]

I've thought about what we would need to change in the kernel in order to
allow non-UNIX permission models on some filesystems/mounts, and I've
discussed this with SUSE folks at the SUSE Labs conference in Prague
yesterday. Surprisingly, nobody seemed to be strongly opposed to what I
presented, rather the opposite. Samba is the most prominent potential user of
non-UNIX permission models on Linux as far as I can see, so I would like to
discuss the topic with you.

Very briefly put, I believe that we need a few small change at the VFS
(virtual filesystem) layer, and with those, the CIFS and other permission
models can be implemented at the low-level filesystem layer relatively
easily. I'm thinking of allowing the user to choose a permission model per
mount.

Attached are the slides that I used yesterday, and a first sketch how this
could be implemented. Your comments are very welcome.

(It seems that the VFS could provide a CIFS permission model implementation
that only uses extended attribute inode operations, so multiple filesystems
could use the same implementation rather than having to duplicate the same
code, even though logically it would be a filesystem-level feature. This is
similar to how the current permission inode operation works.)

Cheers,
Andreas.