Sidebar to Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Oct 24 20:56:49 GMT 2005

Dave,

The continuation messages occur whenever the SMB message is larger than
the MTU on the link.  It's the TCP/IP stack that breaks the large SMB down
into smaller chunks for transmission.

The side effect is that the SMB layer believes (rightly) that it has sent
the entire message and is now free to go about other business, letting
TCP/IP deal with the messy issue of delivery and reconstruction.

I am running a newer version of Ethereal on my office PC, and I've noticed
something that I missed when I was working at home.  Going back to packet
345 in that capture.cap we're using:

- In the NetBIOS Session Service Header (the NBT Header) the length of the
  message is given as 16404 bytes, more than 10 times the default MTU on a
  typical link.  The actual frames max out at only 1434 bytes.

- The message size of 16404 is also more than twice the TCP window size
  (8K).

- There are a lot of incorrect checksums in the sequence starting at
  packet 345.  I think Ronnie Sahlberg explained this to me once but I
  can't remember why this happens.  It's a bug somewhere but not, it
  seems, a critical one.

- There are a handful of duplicate ACKs in this exchange, and two TCP
  retransmissions.  That suggests some sort of packet loss or congestion
  and explains why this single message takes more than 1.6 seconds to
  reach its destination.

Regarding the overlapping of requests, clients can multiplex the
communications of multiple processes or threads within the same TCP
connection.  Windows does this routinely, since it generally opens only
one TCP connection, from within the kernel, per client/server pair.  The
Programs in the Samba suite tend to use separate TCP connections since
they're all running in different contexts.

The PID and MID fields in the header let the server know which client
context is making the request, so the server can manage the threads and
keep the contexts straight.  I don't see the server's NegProt response in
this trace, so I can't tell what the server is setting as a MaxMpxCount.
In theory, you could have as many as MaxMpxCount different requests
outstanding at any one time.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org