Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Dan Tappin dan at orourke.ca
Wed Oct 19 23:01:33 GMT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:48 AM, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Some questions:
>
> - Are you are using old-style NBT-based CIFS or new-style "naked"
>   transport?

I'll plead ignorance here.  I have no idea what the difference is or
how to find out.

> - Does your firewall filter any of the VPN traffic, or does the VPN
> pass
>   through the firewall untouched.

I'll need to confirm this one.  I believe the firewall is not
filtering anything.  Saying that the data is still passing through
the devices and packets are being scanned but not altered or blocked
in any way but could still be a part of the issue.  The tunnel
between the subnets should be wide open.

> - If you're using NBT, do you have an NBNS (a WINS server) and do
> all of
>   the clients talk to that NBNS?

My Xserve is set as the 'Workgroup Master Browser' and I have 'Enable
WINS server' selected.

> - Can you capture a trace for us?

I did this once before... I can't recall the procedure on unix.

Dan