libsmbclient dfs changes

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Mon Oct 17 18:57:18 GMT 2005

derrell at samba.org writes:

> "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:
>
>> I don't think that any of this is reason to hold the 3.0.21pre1
>> release though.  Do you?
>
> Stand by.  I'm going to write a test program to try to determine what the
> impact is in non-DFS environments.  If it's minimal, then I'd say go ahead
> with the pre-release.  I'll get back to you in a few hours.

Jerry, reading a 200MB file from a Samba server (a non-DFS environment) using
a 2048-byte read buffer (intentionally pretty small, for this test), comparing
the pre-SOC version of libsmbclient against today's SVN version, I'm seeing
about a 2% difference in speed.  I do not believe this is enough to hold up
the pre-release.  I may work on it at some point, to try to regain that 2%
loss from the SOC changes, but for now, I suspect it won't be noticed as a
significant issue.  Ship it!

Cheers,

Derrell