VFS modul - understanding operations - help needed

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 22:36:13 GMT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 12:37:50AM +0200, Mario Minati wrote:

> Now my problem:
> At the moment I am quite confused by the load of operations created by
> e.g. a new directory. While I am monitoring samba with the full_audit
> VFS modul I get no mkdir. The only message that is somehow connected to
> that new directory is open with 'w' flag. The unlink operation is an
> other example, in a few minutes of surfing through the dir tree I get a
> few hundreds of them without deleting anything.
> So I would like to know where I can find out about when which operation
> is called.
> Is there some information in the sourcecode? I only read the modules
> files so far and I couldn't find any usefull informations in the CIFS
> documentation or the other samba developer doucments.

*All* filesystem operations go through the VFS layer. There is no
other way the smbd code can touch the underlying filesystem.

In the source code grep for SMB_VFS_ within all C files to see
where all the VFS calls are.

Read the source code to discover how things are used - that's what
it is for !

Jeremy.