Strange oplock behaviour

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 16:29:51 GMT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:45:49AM +0200, Beschorner Daniel wrote:
> For many samba releases I have a MS Visual C++ project that is unable to
> compile on a samba share under certain cases:
>
> W2K SP3, oplocks enabled (on client side) -> works
> W2K SP4, oplocks disabled -> works
> XP RTM, oplocks enabled -> works
> XP SP2, oplocks disabled -> works
>
> W2K SP4, oplocks enabled -> fails
> XP SP2, oplocks enabled -> fails
>
> If the precompiled header file is enabled an internal compiler error is
> thrown (you will find reports from others in newsgroups).

Actually I know *exactly* what this problem is :-).

It's an insane issue with VC++. To fix it, change the parameter :

"allocation roundup size = 0"

on the share in question and VC++ will stop crashing. Crazy,
but there you go. Microsoft have been informed of this issue
and have declined to fix it (but remember, they're committed
to interoperability, right ! :-).

Jeremy.