Samba 3.0.20 read-only behaviour

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 01:17:09 GMT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:50:28AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Sure, I should store dos attributes on every file on my filesystem, to
> stop Samba over-zealously marking files as such?  I just think the logic
> in this is all backwards:  Now we have this EA storage you are so fond
> of, why do we need to force it based on permissions?
>
> DOS attributes and access control are different things, and I think this
> is undue mixing.

If you want to decouple DOS attributes from permissions, you need
to mark a file as such. Samba has historically used the lack of
the everyone unix "w" bit to denote read-only. It's only since we have
EA's that we've been able to decouple the two. If you don't like it
I suggest you tell me where else to stick it (*).......

Jeremy.

(*) In the nicest possible way of course :-).