Samba 3.0.20 read-only behaviour

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 00:50:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 17:40 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:40:54AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > In particular, I don't see why a share being read only, or a file being
> > read only to the current user on the remote server should set the DOS
> > attribute of read only.  I certainly understand for the NTcreate
> > disposition stuff, where we are returning 'can you do this', but the DOS
> > attribute has a completely different meaning, and a nasty habit of being
> > copied around.
>
> If you're storing read-only attributes in EA's, then it doesn't
> do this. It only does this is there's no DOS attribute EA stored
> for the file.

Sure, I should store dos attributes on every file on my filesystem, to
stop Samba over-zealously marking files as such?  I just think the logic
in this is all backwards:  Now we have this EA storage you are so fond
of, why do we need to force it based on permissions?

DOS attributes and access control are different things, and I think this
is undue mixing.

> > I also have seen a nasty bug where a directory with GID access
> > permission (with a gid rws permission) is 'read only' on the client.  I
> > need to chase this down outside my production environment, I'll get more
> > details later.
>
> More details please :-).

Will do.