KDC built in or out of smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 30 11:51:18 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:31 +0000, Neil Hoggarth wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 09:09 +1100, Tim Potter wrote:
> >
> > > Last time this was discussed the option to hook in an external KDC,
> > > if there is one available on the network, was raised.  Is this still
> > > the case?
> >
> > Yes and No... There is not currently any way to hook in an external
> > KDC, but we have shown that should an external KDC happen to share the
> > same database, simply disabling our KDC would suffice.
>
> The O'Reilly book "Kerberos: The Definitive Guide" has a section on
> Windows/Unix interoperability where it suggests that one can use a
> non-MS KDC with a Windows Active Directory server, by establishing a
> cross-realm trust relationship between the AD realm and the pre-existing
> realm.
>
> Is something like this likely to be possible with Samba 4?

Only to the same level of function as this achieves with Windows.  I
don't know the full details, but my understanding is that it introduces
compromises in the operation.

It doesn't change the KDC for the AD realm, it just allows users in a
different KDC to login.

> I have previously entertained hopes of using Samba 4 as a "glue layer"
> between an existing MIT-based University-wide Kerberos service (which is
> not under my administrative control) and a Windows domain which I would
> administer on my department's local LAN. I get less hopeful the more I
> learn about AD, but any encouragement would be gratefully received!

I don't see Samba4 filling any different role than an AD deployment
would.  For our own KDC we require very specific 'AD' semantics, and a
shared backend, so your separately administered KDC would not fit.