rsync: readdir(.): Bad file descriptor (9)

Jim Carroll jim at carroll.com
Tue Nov 15 04:24:36 GMT 2005

Hi, hope ya'll don't mind a follow-up question on my qwest to solve smbfs,
but I have an SMB protocol question.  Let me summarize what I've discovered.

Smbfs compiled under FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, creates TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2
requests with USHORT SearchCount set to 52 by default (which is DIRBLKSZ*4).

If you perform this request on a directory with exactly 50 files (plus '.'
and '..' for a total of 52), the first reply for the SMB server completely
satisfies the query (server side is Windows 2000 Professional).

The smbfs client then performs a TRANS2_FIND_NEXT2 using the last file name
as the resume key.  (here's my question...)

The response returns a SearchCount of zero and an EndOfSearch code of zero.
My question is, is this to be considered EndOfSearch?

Note: I tried to force a FIND_CLOSE2 after the TRANS2_FIND_NEXT2 call, and I
get my old friend, BadFid (bad file descriptor).

I found a solution, which is to set "SMB_RDD_EOF | SMB_RDD_NOCLOSE" after
getting back a zero SearchCount, but I'm not sure what the protocol
implication of this is?  Does it mean I've left an open file handle on the
server that will eventually build up and consume some sort of open file
table entries?

---
Jim C.          | Carroll-Net, Inc.
201-488-4092    |