svn commit: samba r11558 - in trunk/examples: . perfcounter

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Wed Nov 9 00:10:48 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:38 +0000, jerry at samba.org wrote:
> Author: jerry
> Date: 2005-11-07 18:38:34 +0000 (Mon, 07 Nov 2005)
> New Revision: 11558
>
> WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=11558
>
> Log:
> adding perf monitor daemon for linux
> Added:
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/Makefile
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf.h
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer.c
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer_cpu.c
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer_disk.c
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer_mem.c
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer_process.c
>    trunk/examples/perfcounter/perf_writer_util.c

Jerry / Marcin,

Are you aware of PCP (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp)?

It's a general framework for working with performance instrumentation.
It deals with naming metrics and instances of metrics, programatically
discovering and working out the values, semantics, units and dimensions
of metrics. It's open source and has been ported to a range of
platforms, including Solaris, IRIX and many flavours of Linux.

It would be possible to implement the perfcounter daemon as a general
mapping layer between PCP metrics and the registry interface. This would
have some immediate advantages:

	1. You can support performance counters on Linux and non-Linux
	platforms without any extra code.

	2. It easier to add support for more metrics (eg. PCP on my
	laptop currently exports ~580 metrics).

	3. It is quite easy to add your own metrics into PCP, so
	third-party metrics could automatically be provided to windows
	clients.

This isn't a piece of work I can do myself right now, but I'm happy to
provide more PCP info if you are interested.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org