How are machine passwords updated/refreshed in Samba 3.0

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Thu Nov 3 22:29:08 GMT 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Krishna Ganugapati wrote:

> b) Am I right about the net_rpc_join_newstyle being the join to an NT4
> domain (if so, why is this called newstyle - unless something changed
> since NT3.x days to NT4) - can someone comment on this?

In the old NT style the administrator first creates the machine account
and it's given a well known default initial password allowing any user to
join this computer to the domain.

Then Microsoft figured that this is not good in security sensitive
environments as there is no control of which computer (or user) actually
joins the domain on that computer account.. and as result there is two
methods to join an NT domain. One "old" simple and insecure, and one "new"
requiring administrator rights but slightly more secure.

Regards
Henrik