OT: what's the best Apache smb module?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Mon May 2 23:48:24 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 09:54 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:

> The best one I can find is smbauth (http://tekrat.com/smbauth/) but it
> won't compile (actually, it compiles - it won't install) on Fedora (and
> Google also says Solaris).
>
> Surely I'm not the only one wanting to use SMB authentication from a
> Unix Web environment? What do you all use?
>
> PS: I'm surprised that this isn't such a much-wanted feature that it
> came standard on systems - e.g as an RPM,etc.

Last time I looked at this (which was a while ago I admit) there was a
problem linking (GPL licensed) Samba code with (Apache licensed) Apache
code.  This is probably why there isn't a standard module that everyone
uses.

There has been a whole lot of work on a standalone executable called
ntlm_auth which is used in the Squid project to authenticate proxy
connections.  Since this runs as a separate process there are no
licensing problems.  I don't know if anyone has made an apache module
with this.

There is also mod_ntlm_winbind which does useful things with
authentication, user groups etc.  You need to be running winbindd on the
same host you are running apache on for this to work though.

Tim.