Formal proposal: move -Wall from --enable-developer to default

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Wed Mar 30 18:49:54 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> writes:

> Please, please do not set the -Wall or the --eneable-developer=yes in
> SAMBA_3_0. In trunk this is OK, but please not in the SAMBA_3_0 branch as I
> deal with enough noise now (both from compilation and from users who contact
> me about simple warning messages).

Either I'm not being clear on my desire, or I don't understand the reasons
being given not to do as I suggest.  My desire is to compile with -Wall AND
get rid of all of the warnings.  Any warnings generated with -Wall are either
bugs or warning about what could easily turn into a bug.  When I compiled with
-Wall last night, there were only about 15 warnings left in all of samba, most
of which would just require including the correct header file so as to
eliminate the undeclared function warnings.  The noise you deal with will be
eliminated!  Wouldn't that be nice?

I already got rid of all of the warning messages about "const" so the only
remaining ones are from undeclared functions.

Does this sound more reasonable now?  Even the shipping code could compile
with -Wall and would have no warnings; nothing for users to file bugs about.

Derrell