directory change notification patch

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 28 17:20:01 GMT 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:50:56AM +0100, Martin Connell wrote:
> 2. From the Win32 client perspective, there's two degrees of
> directory change notification:
>
>     a. FindFirstChangeNotification, which tells you something, but
> not what, has changed; and
>     b. ReadDirectoryChangesW, which tells you exactly what has
> changed.
>
>    I've seen you mention FILE_NOTIFY_INFORMATION structure so I
> guess we are talking about b. here, but just wanted to check.

Currently Samba supports (a), and we're discussing on how to make
it support (b).

> 3. How efficient is/will samba be at monitoring an entire volume
> (i.e. root directory + WatchSubTree==true)?

Samba itself will never monitor an entire volume from the root directory
without kernel help, it would be much too expensive. ChangeNotify in
Samba is currently per-directory only.

I just wanted to say thanks for coming here and asking these questions
as a Win32 app developer. It's really refreshing to see someone testing
against Samba as well as Windows, rather than just testing against
Windows servers.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.