directory change notification patch

Martin Connell martinc at topology.com
Sun Mar 27 10:50:56 GMT 2005

Dear Mark Weaver,

I'm developing some hopefully-commercial system software on Win32
which depends quite a bit on the ReadDirectoryChangesW API, and
have recently joined this list to discover to what extent this
function will function on a samba target. I've therefore been
really interested in your recent posts.

Could you or anyone else please help me with the following:

0. As I'm new to this, I'm unclear as to what extent directory
change notification has been working in samba up until your work.
I register the list of fixes you have outlined in your
top-of-thread message but am wondering whether it still worked
despite all that. Or, in other words, what inspired you to rework
it?

1. Are we just talking samba on linux here, or other platforms as
well?

2. From the Win32 client perspective, there's two degrees of
directory change notification:

    a. FindFirstChangeNotification, which tells you something, but
not what, has changed; and
    b. ReadDirectoryChangesW, which tells you exactly what has
changed.

   I've seen you mention FILE_NOTIFY_INFORMATION structure so I
guess we are talking about b. here, but just wanted to check.

3. How efficient is/will samba be at monitoring an entire volume
(i.e. root directory + WatchSubTree==true)?

I'm a bit rusty when it comes to linux/unix, but am willing to
help out in the testing effort in any way I can.

Thanks a lot,
Martin.

Other keywords: NT_TRANSACT_NOTIFY_CHANGE