Progress on Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 24 08:47:28 GMT 2005

I wanted to write a quick note to the list to give some idea of the
background progress being made on Samba4 recently.

There has been a lot of movement in the tree this week, particularly by
Jelmar, Stefan (metze) and myself:

Jelmer and I have been working on credentials handling, the result of
which is a unified system for handling usernames and passwords, with a
particular focus to ensure that we only prompt for passwords when
required.  While there are still a few points in need of bedding down,
we have achieved our goal of not prompting if we already have a kerberos
ticket.

I have also done a lot of work on GENSEC and SCHANNEL, and this code
(the core of our security link between member servers and domain
controllers) is cleaner, and fits into GENSEC better than it did in the
past.

metze has been further decoding DRSUAPI, with the assistance of a very
cool ethereal module, which allows the decryption of kerberos-encrypted
RPC pipes, given secret keys.