SWAT features

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Wed Mar 16 13:23:20 GMT 2005

man, 14,.03.2005 kl. 10.18 -0700, skrev John H Terpstra:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 08:32, Deryck Hodge wrote:
> > Hi, all
Hi, all.

> Following initial enthusiastic response to the Wizard we began receiving a lot
> of criticism that SWAT is not secure. This resulted in many Debian and
> Madrake Linux users effectively putting the kybosh on SWAT. Red Hat never
> installed it by default, etc. there was not a lot of incentive to keep
> working on a tool that has so little real traction. SWAT is lacking for an
> active maintainer and has little to no community interest.

> Our efforts at documenting SWAT in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection has not seen a
> lot of gain. My recommendation is that we kill SWAT and remove it from the
> code tree.

I care little for SWAT, but what I have missed with Samba in the past is
suggestions for those trying to develop admin-ui's on how to do this.
What you should provide is a minimum of documentation on how some things
should be documented.

Also an interface like Postfix postconf[1] would be nice - preferably
with an api as well.

1. From the manual:
The postconf(1) command prints the actual value of parameter (all known
parameters by default)  one  parameter  per line, changes its value, or
prints other information about the Postfix mail system.

Tarjei