[Samba] EA support for AIX 5.3

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Wed Mar 16 00:39:47 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> William Jojo wrote:
> |
> | Whilst fixing  bug 2445, I stumbled across NFSv4 ACLs with EA
> | version 2 capability. This is only supported on filesystems
> | that are created JFS2 with Extended Attribute Version 2 support
> | which is part of the NFSv4 ACL support native to JFS2 in AIX 5.3.
> |
> | This is new in AIX 5.3 and I'd like to get to work implementing
> | it as an addition to Linux and IRIX EA support. Are the any
> | docs that I can get started on making this happen? I'm
> | looking through  the EA code now, but any help would be
> | greatly appreciated.
> |
> | I'd also be putting together documentation on how to implement
> | this for AIX 5.3 admins.
>
> Bill,
>
> For technical issues like this, I'd take it to samba-technical
> and CC jeremy directly.  He's the one you'll need to ping for
> information.

Jeremy,

I would like to begin working on mapping NFS4 ACLs starting with AIX 5.3.

I'm particularly interested in POSIX interaction, more closely mapping to
CIFS style ACLs and better inheritance.

Is there presently an interest in such a body of code? The ability to map
NFS4 ACLs to CIFS style would be *very* close.

I've already begun getting intimately familiar with:

smbd/posix_acls.c
lib/sysacls.c
smbd/dosmode.c
lib/system.c

Anyway, I'm going to research more and mocking up some prototype
code with AIX 5.3 ML-01. Could you give me any pointers on the current
POSIX to NT-ACL mappings?

Thank you for your consideration.

Bill