Kerberos and AD joins

Wachdorf, Daniel R drwachd at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 8 18:40:58 GMT 2005

We currently have a large Kerberos infrastructure in place.  As part of
this we have Kerberized SSH in place.  We have created a tool to create
computer type accounts in Active Directory.  We set the userPrincpalName
to host/HOSTNAME at REALM and the servicePrincipalName to host/HOSTNAME.
(This seems to function much like the "net ads join" command.)  We then
set the password for the computer and write out a Kerberos keytab file
to /etc/krb5.keytab to allow Kerberos authentication with SSH.

The "net ads join" command doesn't seem to create a keytab, but rather
creates the secrets.tdb file which appears to store the password used to
create the computer account.

This leads me to my two questions:

1-	Would it be possible to modify samba to use a stored keytab
instead of the secrets.tdb file?  Does the samba server actually need
the password, or would a Kerberos keytab with the key be sufficient.
2-	Would I be able to grab the password out of the secrets.tdb file
and create a keytab file?  My main concern here is does the password
change often?

Thanks.

-dan

Daniel Wachdorf