smb.conf include facility

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jun 28 16:35:16 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 09:56, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:35:49AM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > Additionally, Samba-3 squashes all macros that may be put into the
> > include parameter when testparm is used to generate a clean smb.conf
> > file. i.e.,
> >
> > 	include = /etc/smb.conf.%L
> >
> > gets squashed to:
> >
> > 	include = /etc/smb.conf.
>
> No, it does not. %L is information retrieved from the netbios session
> setup, which is only done if the client connects on port 139. Set 'smb
> ports = 139', and your %L will work again.

Yes. Agreed. But that is not our default! Our default appears to use port 445
and fall back to 139.

So, should I document the necessity to set "smb ports = 139" for ALL samba
PDC/BDC systems? I just tried this and it works so long as this is set in the
top-level smb.conf file. That should be documented better in the man page for
smb.conf and in the rest of the docs. I will do that.

> > 1. Should the include feature be removed?
>
> No.
>
> > 2. If we should retain the include feature, can we regain the Samba 2.x
> > functionality? Is so, should we?
>
> We *might* remove the %L parameter and have people replace it with %I, the
> client's IP address.
>
> > 3. Do we have any consensus on how I should update to documentation of
> > this feature?
>
> Yes, you should. If %L is really needed set 'smb ports = 139'.

OK.

> > 4. Which of the proposals below appeals to you most?
> >
> > Proposal A:
> > -------------
> > We remove the include feature and I will immediately update the
> > documentation to say it is gone from 3.0.20.
>
> No way.
>
> > Proposal B:
> > -------------
> > We restore Samba 2.x functionality and I leave the documentation as is.
> > The documentation assumes Samba 2.x behavior.
>
> No way either, I'm sure people rely on port 445 these days.

Got to love Windows and CIFS! Not!

> > Proposal C:
> > -------------
> > The documentation will be immediately updated so that all examples show
> > only complete working smb.conf files and do not mention use of the
> > include feature.
>
> Proposal D:
>
> Update all the documentation to only use %I.

Please clarify:

	Are you saying don't use netbios aliases?

	Are you saying that every netbios alias must have its own IP address?

Thanks for the feedback.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra