smb.conf include facility

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jun 28 15:35:49 GMT 2005

Folks,

The include facility in smb.conf no longer functions as it did in Samba 2.x
series. I am acting on this because a samba site is having difficulty with
the use of the include facility and contacted me for clarification.

The files shown in "Samba-3 by Example" Examples 4.3.1 - 4.3.3 (excluding
Samba-3 specific parameters) produces a clean smb.conf file, as shown by
executing the Samba 2.2.x versions testparm.

When this is done with Samba-3 release versions the trailing empty "include =
" remains in the output from testparm.

Additionally, Samba-3 squashes all macros that may be put into the include
parameter when testparm is used to generate a clean smb.conf file. i.e.,

	include = /etc/smb.conf.%L

gets squashed to:

	include = /etc/smb.conf.

Additionally, there is a wierd side-effect that causes spurius "include = "
entries to appear in share stanzas also.

----------------------- Questions / Feedback Request --------------------

I would appreciate some guidance in respect of the documentation and therefore
seek feedback in respect of:

1. Should the include feature be removed?

2. If we should retain the include feature, can we regain the Samba 2.x
functionality? Is so, should we?

3. Do we have any consensus on how I should update to documentation of this
feature?

4. Which of the proposals below appeals to you most?

Proposal A:
-------------
We remove the include feature and I will immediately update the documentation
to say it is gone from 3.0.20.

Proposal B:
-------------
We restore Samba 2.x functionality and I leave the documentation as is. The
documentation assumes Samba 2.x behavior.

Proposal C:
The documentation will be immediately updated so that all examples show only
complete working smb.conf files and do not mention use of the include
feature.

I can deal with the execution of proposal A or C. If proposal B is chosen, who
will deal with restoring the old behavior.

- John T.