smb.conf include facility

Tue Jun 28 15:56:34 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:35:49AM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
> Additionally, Samba-3 squashes all macros that may be put into the include
> parameter when testparm is used to generate a clean smb.conf file. i.e.,
>
> 	include = /etc/smb.conf.%L
>
> gets squashed to:
>
> 	include = /etc/smb.conf.

No, it does not. %L is information retrieved from the netbios session setup,
which is only done if the client connects on port 139. Set 'smb ports = 139',
and your %L will work again.

> 1. Should the include feature be removed?

No.

> 2. If we should retain the include feature, can we regain the Samba 2.x
> functionality? Is so, should we?

We *might* remove the %L parameter and have people replace it with %I, the
client's IP address.

> 3. Do we have any consensus on how I should update to documentation of this
> feature?

Yes, you should. If %L is really needed set 'smb ports = 139'.

> 4. Which of the proposals below appeals to you most?
>
> Proposal A:
> -------------
> We remove the include feature and I will immediately update the
> documentation to say it is gone from 3.0.20.

No way.

> Proposal B:
> -------------
> We restore Samba 2.x functionality and I leave the documentation as is. The
> documentation assumes Samba 2.x behavior.

No way either, I'm sure people rely on port 445 these days.

> Proposal C:
> The documentation will be immediately updated so that all examples show only
> complete working smb.conf files and do not mention use of the include
> feature.

Proposal D:

Update all the documentation to only use %I.

Volker