socket interface to winbindd

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Thu Jun 23 19:41:25 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to use winbindd to authenticate against a domain controller
from within my application, using NTLM authentication. I've written a
small test program that is using the WINBINDD_PAM_AUTH command, and seems
to be working.

I have some questions about the WINBINDD_PAM_AUTH_CRAP command, and about
the interface in general:

My application is multithreaded. If each request will go through a new
socket, (i.e. the authentication helper function always creates and
connects a new socket, sends one request, reads one response, then closes
the socket), I shouldn't have problems on account of the threading? I'm
worried because the requestor pid is passed in for some reason...

There shouldn't be any problem with closing the socket after reading
sizeof ( struct winbindd_response ) without checking to see if there's
more data, right?

Will winbindd reply to a WINBINDD_PAM_AUTH_CRAP command with any data
beyond the struct winbindd_response?

Will there be anything usefull in the data union in response to a
WINBINDD_PAM_AUTH_CRAP command?

Is the fstring domain_name member of struct winbindd_request used for
anything? I see that apache's mod-ntlm-winbind sets it to 0...

Should I be setting any flags in the request? I can't seem to find any
description of what they do.

Any help would be appreciated.

 			Thanks
 			Alexey