samba 4: a new configuration system?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 05:51:40 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 07:45 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> the main problem I see with a text based config is that we need to kepp
> an in memory copy of the parameters, need to manually resync this cache when
> the text file has changed. and things like adding delete and mofify shares,
> from smbd itself is not so easy. It's very hard to keep the structure of the file
> and the comments on it when you change any parameter for a share via RPC calls.

Is it really that hard?  Sometimes the comments might move around, but
why should changing;

foo frob support = yes

into

foo frob support = no

require changing anything other than that line?

Why can't we just add new parameters (non-default value) to the end of
the section?  Tools like redhat's system-config-samba might not produce
perfect, pretty results, but they do keep the comments...