Fixing the Solaris groups limit (CR 4088757 *Escalated* Updated P5 kernel/other Customer would like to increase ngroups_max more than 32)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 16 16:20:28 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:39:03AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>  Now that Solaris is open for inspection, the Solarii can blog about
> things like the limit on the number of groups.
>
>  The lead kernel engineer on the project, Peter Harvey, has written
> about this in his blog at http://blogs.sun.com/peteh

Actually Dave, being a little more constructive, have you had a chance
to try the new aio code in Samba HEAD on Solaris yet ? It actually might
make a difference on Solaris. On Linux aio performance makes things worse,
as they don't do it in the kernel - they create a pthread to handle the
aio calls - which really sucks :-).

I'm guessing Solaris does this (correctly) in the kernel and this
actually will improve speed on a loaded system (especially when re-exporting
a clustered filesystem) but it would be good to get some confirmation
before I move the changes back into the release branch.

Cheers,

	Jeremy (who has now had a cup of coffee and is feeling less bitter :-).