VFS modules

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Tue Jun 14 02:02:52 GMT 2005

James,

 > I saw that one of the ideas for Google summer of code is new VFS modules
 > for samba.  Although I'm not a student anymore, and so can't apply, I'd
 > be interested in knowing what functionality is wanted/needed, I'm
 > thinking of giving it a go.

I don't know if the project description you saw was for Samba4 or
Samba3, but certainly I would like to see someone write a Samba4 NTVFS
module for interfacing with anti-virus products. The existing Samba
anti-virus interfaces leave a lot to be desired I think.

It's a non-trivial project though, as you have to take care that a
virus can't bypass you in some way. For example, a virus might bypass
a 'check on close' implementation by leaving the file open, but with a
share mode that doesn't prevent it being opened by another user.

So you have to think pretty carefully about exactly what you check,
and when.

Cheers, Tridge