how does a Linux/Samba host join an exisiting windows domain?

changxun wu changxun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:25:25 GMT 2005

I'm a graduate student and interested in how Samba supports windows
domain protocols. Could any guru please tell me briefly how exactly
Windows domain protocol works? I mean, how could a new Linux host
running Samba join an existing windows domain (assuming there is a
windows domain controller running already)? What kind of messages are
exchanged between this Samba box and the windows domain controller?

Or, I'd also appreciate it if you could refer me to some good
links/documents to read. Thanks.

best,
changxun