Errors in log eating up space - "read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. connection reset by peer"

John Gerth gerth-samba at graphics.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 9 21:41:51 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> James Ellis wrote:
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I have researched this on the web but not located
> | a definitive answer  yet. My logfiles are filling up
> | with the following error-
> |
> |  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. connection
> | reset by peer
> |
> | Any thoughts.
>
> Yup.  Search the mailing list archives for discussions
> about Windopws XP connecting to port 139 and 445 concurrently
> and then dropping port 139.

  If you no longer have any Win9x or WinME clients, you can
  add the following to smb.conf:
    smb ports  = 445

  I did this and it stopped the log noise.  Unfortunately, some
  folks here starting installing a Windows AFS client which apparently
  instead of registering as new file service is instead designed
  around manipulating the client stack via 139 so I was forced to
  turn it back on....sheesh.

--
John Gerth      gerth at stanford.edu         (650) 725-3273  fax 723-0033