management of Samba4

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Fri Jun 3 14:27:25 GMT 2005

 > You don't necessarily need to use Samba code.
 > Just Samba's IDL.  The monitoring app could
 > write it's own [un]marhsllaing routines based
 > on Samba's IDL.

Another approach would be to declare that ejs scripts using smbscript
can be any license you like. That would provide a clear boundary,
while allowing for third parties to easily extend our management
tools. It is also fairly traditional that the license on scripts
written in a scripting language are not dictated by the license that
the scripting engine source has.

That would give us two solutions for extensions:

1) lightweight extensions by writing ejs scripts

2) more heavyweight extensions where you use your own IDL compiler and
   call the RPC interfaces for the Samba management calls (for
   example, they could be made accessible using midl).

Of course, then we will get people wanting to add gtk and qt bindings
to ejs :)

Cheers, Tridge